- On the Minecraft Forge Downloads page in the Promotions section, locate the "Recommended" dowload for your version of Minecraft. (For example: "Recommended-1.7.10".)
(If a recommended release isn't available yet, you can try the "Latest" release, but it may be buggy.)
- Download the "Installer" link of the release to get the Forge installer jar.
- If your Minecraft Launcher is currently running, you'll need to shut it down now. If you don't, the new Profile won't appear until you restart the Launcher.
- After it has downloaded, double-click the installer jar and a small dialog window will appear:
- Select the Install Client option and press OK. It will install a new "Forge" profile in your Minecraft Launcher.
- In the Minecraft Launcher's Profile drop-down menu, select the new "Forge" profile. Click the Edit button:
- Optional: You can edit the Profile Name if desired. Ex: "Forge 1.7.10"
- If you have enough RAM, it is highly recommended that you allocate 1GB or more. Enable the checkbox next to JVM Arguments and use the default "-Xmx1G". If you need to allocate less or more than 1GB, and aren't comfortable with changing the value, see Tutorial: Giving Minecraft more RAM for details.
Organize your mods
- If it doesn't exist yet, create a "mods" folder in your Minecraft directory:
- Next create a subfolder in "mods" with the name of the Minecraft version you're using. For example, if you're using Minecraft 1.7.10, create a folder called "1.7.10":
- Put the JourneyMap jar file (and any other Forge mods) into this version-specific directory. This way you can have different versions of your mods enabled for different profiles.
- Use the Forge profile in your Minecraft Launcher and JourneyMap will be loaded for you
- Install (or update) Forge using the version of Forge required by JourneyMap.
- If it doesn't exist yet, create a mods/version folder in your Minecraft directory:
where "#.#.#" corresponds to the version of Minecraft you're using. (For example:
- Put the JourneyMap mod .jar file into this version-specific directory. This allows you to have different versions of JourneyMap for different versions of Minecraft. (You can use this technique with other mods, too.)
- Use the Forge-enabled profile in your Minecraft Launcher and JourneyMap will be loaded when you start Minecraft.
- If everything is installed correctly, you will see a "JourneyMap available" chat message in Minecraft. (If you don't see this, chances are good you don't have the correct version of Forge in your Minecraft launcher profile. See How to update your Minecraft Profile.
Try it Out!
- Start Minecraft and connect to a single player or multiplayer world.
- If everything is installed correctly, you will see a "JourneyMap available" chat message in Minecraft.
- Try out the in-game map by pressing 'J' or click the URL shown in the "JourneyMap available" chat message. (By default this will be http://localhost:8080.